Saturday, November 19, 2005

For the record

I think when most people think of someone who tends to have obsessions, they think of stalkers. That's logical. But, I'll share a story that explains why I am not a stalker.

When I was in the 7th grade, I had a bigfat crush on this boy named Ricky. I was (obviously) way too nerdy to ever be friends with/breathe the same air as Ricky. So I quietly obsessed over him in the same way that most 12-year-old girls do. But one day I decided to cross the stalker line. A friend and I followed him home after school. In retrospect, I don't know what I thought this would accomplish since I already knew which building he lived in. Anyway, we followed him and went unnoticed for about 4 blocks. After that, it became obvious that he (and his cousin Carlos whom I had band class with and was sort of friends with) knew we were following him. I freaked out, but I was already in it. Ricky and Carlos crossed the street, approached us, and called us out for following them home. This was the first actual conversation I had with Ricky. I don't remember what we talked about or how long the conversation lasted, but about a week after this incident, I no longer had a bigfat crush on Ricky.

This taught me something. Stalking is not actually that much fun. When you obsess over someone or something, the possibilities are endless and magical. Some level of mystery is absolutely necessary for a healthy obsession. The pretend conversations I had with my 7th grade crush were far more gratifying than the actual conversation we had.

Paris Hilton is not an interesting person. Her life is not that important or special. But I have never met Paris Hilton. I see her in UsWeekly a lot. Usually a photo of her entering or leaving Bungalo 8 or Marquee or something. I have no idea what she does inside these places. If I were in there with her, I'd be over her. But since I'm not, I have to assume she snorts some coke, takes her shirt off and steals other girls' boyfriends right in front of them. Coke-snorting, boyfriend-stealing Paris Hilton is totally awesome. Two-waying her publicist, vitamin water-drinking Paris Hilton is not worth even the smallest fraction of my attention.

This is why I am not a stalker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home